Monday, September 30, 2019

Uncharted Waters Part 1: Embarkation|A Mother’s Journey from Death to Life #PILAM #PregnancyandInfantLossAwareness


EMBARKATION


In July of 2003, months of planning for my first short-term mission trip to Ukraine were working out. The financial support came in. I secured babysitters for my toddler. My husband would take time off to visit family so he wouldn’t miss me so much.
There was only one thing holding me back.
I was pregnant.
After praying about the risk, my desire to go to Ukraine did not waver. I would continue on and trust in the Lord to keep my baby safe.
By the time the first-trimester nausea dissipated, my bags were packed, and I was ready to go.

Early in the morning, while down on my knees, amidst tears and fears, I committed myself and my unborn child to God.
June 4, 2003
“Lord, thank you for giving me a calling, a plan, and a purpose for my life. You are Sovereign. You have power over life and death. Please give me the strength to follow your calling and reign in my heart. I dedicate myself to You and Your service and place my life and the life of my unborn child in Your Almighty hands.”
As I left the car and ventured toward the airport lobby, rolling my suitcase behind me, my husband and daughter waved goodbye. Being a toddler, April stared in wonder as the sliding doors shut in front of her. I don’t think she comprehended how long I would be gone. Billy knew. I could see the sadness in his eyes.

Aside from a little turbulence that made me airsick, the flight to Ukraine was uneventful. I had perfect peace the entire way. I freely conversed with the other short-term missionaries in my group and grew especially close to Sally, an Asian American from Arizona. Wayne, from Texas, would be my English co-teacher.

GREAT EXPECTATIONS

The night before teaching, we prayed and enjoyed a lasagna dinner with the Ukrainian missionaries. I felt led to share with my team that I was nervous about teaching and wondered if I could truly make any difference in our students’ lives.
“Expect great things from God,” challenged Sally. She beamed a bright smile and held my shoulder reassuringly.
 

Studying ESL lessons with Wayne, Sally, and her co-teacher, Charlie
The next day, the bus rumbled on the street corner outside our communist-style concrete apartment where we were staying. Its fumes permeated the breezeless air and added extra warmth to an already hot summer day. We boarded in silence, ready to embark on the great mission of reaching the world with the love of Christ. The whole prospect of teaching English thrilled me. The Ukrainians were known to be spiritually curious and might ask us questions about our faith.


Short-term Mission Team at English Camp
Upon our arrival, one Ukrainian student named Natalya waited outside my cabin door to walk with me to classes.
“Hablas español?” she asked.
I didn’t think I would need to speak Spanish in the middle of a Slavic country. But, it turned out that knowing a little Spanish came in handy.
Natalya barely knew any English, and I barely knew any Russian or Ukrainian. So, we figured that we could communicate with each other in Spanish—the only language we both knew. We called each other, “mi querida amiga,” which meant, “my beloved friend.”
We walked everywhere together, the Ukrainian way—by holding hands. At first, I felt a little childish, holding hands with my newfound friend. But eventually I got used to it and missed this simple way of showing affection when I came back to the U.S.


Natalya, “mi querida amiga”
Toward the end of camp, Natalya gave her life to Christ in my presence. What joy filled my heart to see her brought into a living relationship with God through Jesus Christ. And, Sandy was right; wonderful things happen when we expect great things from God. It’s amazing how the Holy Spirit, unseen like the wind, sweeps down into the deepest part of person’s heart, and awakens it to new life.
“As you do not know the path of the wind,
or how the body is formed in a mother’s womb,
so you cannot understand the work of God,
the maker of all things.”
(Ecclesiastes 11:5)

“The wind blows where it wishes,
and you hear its sound,
but you do not know where it comes from or where it goes.
 So it is with everyone born of the Spirit…
For God so loved the world,
that he gave his only Son,
that whoever believes in him
should not perish but have eternal life.”
(John 3:8, 16, ESV)

MARKED BY LOSS


Teaching English to the Ukrainian students was a joy. I relished the instant conviviality and solidarity of sharing life with my mission team. There is something bonding about living in close quarters at a former communist youth camp, where the bathrooms are termed "squatty-potties," and between the buzzing mosquitoes and jet-lag, sleep is scarce.
Only one thing got me down.
One morning, while praying, my Bible accidentally slipped out of my fingers, off my cot, and thudded to the floor. It broke open in the middle, right at the book of Job, ripping the introductory page in half.

At that moment, a wave fear swept over me. I knew that God loved Job and was very pleased with him. But Job’s life was marked by overwhelming loss and sorrow. It made me wonder. Does God have something like that planned for me?

Next post, Part 2. 

No comments:

Post a Comment