Saturday, August 4, 2012

If I Were a Rich Mom



"If I were a rich man, doo bee doo bee doo bee doo bee doo bee doo bee dum...all day long I'd biddie biddie bum, if I were a wealthy man..."

My kids love to dance around the house singing this tune from Fiddler on the Roof.




"Mommy what's a biddie biddie bum?" asked my inquisitive Bright Girl. 



Hmmmm.  Sounds like Reb Tevye wants to sit on his bum all day long.

But, I didn't say that!

"Um, he wants to have the luxury of not having to work anymore. Maybe he's tired of being a farmer."

Is that what being rich means? Not having to work anymore?  That's what Tevye thought at least.  

If I were a rich mom, what would I do?

Sit around the house all day, eating bon bons and petit fours?

Bossing around Amelia Bedelia?

No thanks. I like my life. Sure, there are days when I feel like pulling my hair out, but it's worth it to see a glimpse of the wonder and joy in my children's eyes.

It's not because I lavish them with expensive toys or give them anything their hearts' desire. Quite the opposite. We read together. Library books mostly, or a few choice books we purchased at a garge sale, maybe. Nothing fancy.

At the end of the day, the best book, the greatest book, the most profound book, is the Bible. We read from the My Jesus Storybook Bible right before bedtime. It's not just for kids. It has brought tears to my eyes, tears to their daddy's eyes.

Our children love Jesus. He is in every story, in every chapter. From creation to the fall, from the incarnation to Revelation, I have the opportunity to share with my children the great love of our Savior.

Funny, I sure feel like a rich mom. Because of Jesus, I must be. 

"He said to me: "It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To Him who is thirsty I will give to drink without cost from the spring of the water of life (Revelation 21: 6)."

3 comments:

  1. I was blessed by reading through your blog today! There is treasure here! Thanks for sharing Chanda! Love & prayers, in Jesus, Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading, Cynthia! There is a treasure trove of beautiful things we can learn from our kids!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen! Thank you for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete