Sunday, September 6, 2015

A Walk in the Garden



"The Bible is boring." I overheard someone once say.

What could a person possibly say in response to that?


At the same time, I could understand where she was coming from. There was a point in my young life where I tried reading the Bible, starting in Genesis and couldn't get past the first few chapters. Albeit, it was a King James Version of the Bible written in a tongue that I just didn't get. Definitely not my heart language.


I wouldn't say at that point the Bible was boring. But, to me it was indecipherable. Impossibly hard to understand. And, didn't seem relevant to my life.


Fast forward a few years and a few more comprehensible versions of the Bible later. I was a mama by then and involved in my church. Invited by some ladies to a women's Bible study. 


One of the leaders of my group, hugged her Bible. Literally held it to her heart like it was her most prized possession. "My favorite time of the day is when I first wake up in the morning and spend time with the Lord."


I wanted that kind of love for the Word of God. And, I knew I didn't have it.


It was a struggle just to keep up with the homework for the Bible study.


But, a time came when I purposed to get up in the morning to pray and read my Bible. To spend time with the Lord. 


I was starting a new part-time job and knew the rest of the day, I'd be too busy. Mornings were my only window of free time.


That fateful morning I woke up. But, didn't want to get up. So, I lay there. Making up excuses in my mind as to why I needed a little more rest.


Then it came.


A still, small voice deep within me.


Definitely not my own (I was busy thinking of excuses).


"Seek My face." The Voice said.


So I did.


Opening my Bible, I landed in Psalms chapter 27 and when I came to verse 8, the words nearly leapt off the page and into my heart.



"When You said, 'Seek My face,' my heart said to You, 'Your face LORD, I will seek."



That did it for me. I could finally see the purpose in reading the Wordso that I could meet with the Living Word. 


And, by the grace of God, I've been seeking the face of the Lord morning by morning ever since. And, let me tell you, the seeking is far from boring. It's i
nspiring. Miraculous. Life changing. 

Some would say taking a stroll in a garden is boring. But, the sights, the sounds, the scents enlarge the soul.









And, the fruit of reading the Word of God, basking in His glorious presence, sheds His light on the rest of our day, where He speaks to us of His majesty, grace and peace. 


It is attempting to touch the unseen. Where Christ is, seated in the heavenlies. And makes us aware of His presence. 


He speaks to us in whispers of love, reminds us who we are and why we are here.


We need to hear these things.


Solitary time spent with the Lord is not some dull duty, it's an honor, a delight and our right as a children of God. We get to talk with our Maker.


How awesome is that?



Jesus answered and said to him, “If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our home with him.
John 14:23 NKJV
  

No comments:

Post a Comment