Friday, December 6, 2013

Because of Love: Montage of a Short Life



"Why keep a baby that you know is going to die?"

My children's former pediatrician posed this question. She didn't wait for my answer. She looked down at the clipboard and flipped through the documents which held my children's medical history.

This was after the pediatrician informed with me that her sister had chosen to abort her child with Potter's Syndrome--the same abnormality that my infant son, Luke, died from in 2003.


"I'm sure your sister is still sad," I told her. I would be. I still was.


She paused, looked up at me, furrowed her brow and wrote something down on her clipboard.


"Some of your children are not fully up-to-date on their immunizations," she said, changing the subject.


When I left the doctor's office, my head was spinning. Luke lived. I held him for eight hours and then he fell asleep peacefully in my arms before he stopped breathing all together. Those were precious moments that I would never take back. Not for anything.


Why keep a baby that you know is going to die?

Because...










































Because we loved him.


Missing you, sweet little Luke. Happy 10th heavenly birthday.



Until we meet again,


Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment