Saturday, August 11, 2012

Ladybug Ladybug, Fly Away Home



"Mommy look!"

My Bright Girl gently closed the sliding glass door and turned around with palm upturned. I was doing the dishes, but stopped suddenly and wiped my hands dry. 

Peering into her hand, I spotted a many-spotted ladybug.

It skedaddled out of her hand and up her arm, tickling her all the way. 


I love little gifts in small packages. It reminded me of a Mother Goose Rhyme.

Ladybug, ladybug fly away home,
Your house is on fire and your children are gone.
All except one, her name is Nan.
She crept under the frying pan.

Hmmm. How morbid is that? Did Nan survive? I surely hope so! 
Mother Goose sure did create some pretty depressing nursery rhymes.

Studies have shown that nursery rhymes help develop young children's communication skills, and are foundational to reading later on. If nursery rhymes are important to child development, is there some alternative out there for children besides these sometimes unsettling nursery rhymes? 

Thankfully, Majorie Ainsborough Decker felt inspired to write The Christian Mother Goose Book of Nursery Rhymes and Rock-A-Bye Stories of Jesus.

It's lyrical stories are reminiscent of Beatrix Potter's The Tale of Peter Rabbit, telling moral tales inspiring character development. It's spiritual themes are thought-provoking and are catalysts for further explanation and Bible study. 

My Sunshine Girl especially likes "A Peacemaker's House" from Rock-A-Bye Stories of Jesus

The rhyme tells of little Tommy Tittlemouse whose house is in shambles and complete disarray. He feels restless and upset about it, so he cleans and tidies up.

At the last sweep of dust, he finds that he feels at peace in his heart knowing that he made a comfortable place for guests to come and enjoy sweet fellowship.

I wonder if reading that rhyme has helped my Sunshine Girl appreciate the act of keeping house. Both she and Bright Girl love to set the table with nice things and have people over.

Well, one particular guest, we set outside after observing her for awhile--Mrs. Ladybug.





Bright Girl delicately laid her on the stone pavement and watched her crawl away.  I penned this poem a short while later: 

Ladybug, ladybug crawl back home,
Your house is the bushes
Where the aphids roam.
God's provision
For a hungry bug,
If you were bigger,
I'd give you a hug.
 
Simple rhyme, but I would need to explain provision to the kids. From my understanding, God's provision means He gives or provides exactly what His creation needs. For instance, providing ladybugs with green aphids to eat.

God's perfect provision for us is encapsulated in the gospel.

He made a way for us to be forgiven for all our sins by sending us Christ Jesus as the Savior of the world. He came to pay the penalty for our sins by sacrificing Himself on the cross.

This free gift of forgiveness is for everyone who will believe.  In Him we have eternal life. What a wonderful provision!

House guests may come and go, but I hope my children learn (and me, too!) that every interaction, every meal shared, is an opportunity to share with someone who desperately needs to know that they are very dearly loved by God, the Maker of all things, even ladybugs.

" For God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners Christ died for us. (Romans 5:8)."

2 comments:

  1. We had "The Christian Mother Goose Book of Nursery Rhymes" growing up and I can still recite some long passage from it. Loved Grandpa Mole especially!! Ive picked it up for my kids, although it doesn't get that much attention. Thanks for reminding of what a treasure it is!!

    ReplyDelete