Monday, August 12, 2013

Accepting the Challenge: Week 1










I like a good challenge.  It forces me to try something new, to stretch myself and attempt the impossible. 

Last night, as I was about to write a new post on The Mommy Haven, I felt lexically challenged.

I got writer's block. 

It was the first time I had nothing to write about since I started this blog a year ago. 

It made me wonder if maybe something triggered it.

About an hour before I tried to write, my Google+ friend, Rae Brooks in her blog post titled, Foundation, challenged me to speak God's truth about myself in front of a mirror.  I accepted the challenge but got sidetracked.  The rest of the evening, there were so many distractions, and I felt bombarded and overwhelmed with worry and anxiety.

I just couldn't seem to make it over to the mirror,

look at myself,

and tell myself who I really am.

When I sat down for the evening to write a post (another distraction at this point), I couldn't write anything.  And,  I usually have so much to say. 

I went to sleep last night, bothered that I didn't get to write my blog post for the week.

Waking up this morning, I remembered the challenge.

I prayed and felt prompted to speak something out loud that I learned years ago in a women's Bible study:

Holding up my hand I lifted one finger at a time for each truth:

"God is Who He says He is.
God can do what He says He can do,
I am who God says I am,
I can do all things through Christ,
God's Word is alive and active in me,
and
I (pointing to my heart)
believe (pointing to my head)
in God (pointing up to heaven)."

(from Believing God, by Beth Moore)


Now, standing in front of the mirror, I read from some handouts that I had, stating my Identity in Christ with accompanying verses.

There was something significant about seeing myself as spoke my true identity in Christ to my reflection.

My heart flooded with joy and I sensed that the Lord was with me and He was pleased with me. 

He wanted me to know this is who I am.

But, the enemy of our souls doesn't.  He is our identity thief and tries anything and everything to get us to forget who we really are in Christ.

Sure, my own distractibility came in to play last night, but I think there was more to it than that.

The challenge was so simple and yet and couldn't bring myself to do it.

I felt opposed.

It was only through prayer and putting up the shield of faith (Ephesians 6:10-20) that I was able to get to the mirror with the Truth in my hands and actually say who I am in Christ out loud to myself.

After that, I was flooded with ideas for blog posts. 

So, I am going to join with Rae Brooks with this #femaleaugustchallenge.

And, I challenge you to join me!

Keep in mind, you may experience such opposition as I did, so it would be a good idea to first pray.

I will give you seven Truths about your identity in Christ each week in August.

All you have to do is say one out loud in front of the mirror, each day of the week.

Just one!  Or all seven everyday if you wish.

Believe the Truth about yourself and see what happens!

Here they are:

In Christ...

I was thought of, loved, and chosen before the foundation of the world (Ephesians 1:4, Colossians 3:12, 1 Thessalonians 1:4)

I am truly a child of God and will resemble Christ when He returns (John 1:12, 1 John 3:1-2, Philippians 3:20)

I am now a saint, pure and blameless, having the righteousness of God (Ephesians 1:1, Hebrews 10:14, 2 Corinthians 5:21)

I am free from my sin nature, no longer needing to be controlled by it (Romans 6: 2-7)

I am a new creation, with a godly heart that longs to be pleasing to Him (2 Corinthians 5:17, Ephesians 4:24, Romans 6:18)

I am a temple of God, a dwelling place of the Holy Spirit (1 Corinthians 3:16, 6:19)

I am now a workmanship of God, showing His handiwork in my life (Ephesians 2:10)

More to come next week... https://plus.google.com/u/0/?tab=mX#s/%23femaleaugustchallenge

No comments:

Post a Comment