Sunday, August 4, 2013

{A Great Inheritance}




Lesson 462: (Theme TBA)

{Take 3}

"Action!"

I may look pretty happy here, but that's before the sunburn set in.  And, this was right after I fully recovered from my spider bite, the one that sent me to the ER (you can read all about it here).

Spider bites, skin burnt to a crisp from a sunburn, a rude comment taken to heart, and...

 a horrible reaction (mine).

<<Cut!>> 

These are the things that made up my latest tests.

And, I initially failed to react in a Christlike way in each and every one.

Being a huge overachiever, I was devastated.

I don't like to fail.

There was a lesson that I needed to learn, and I missed it because of my sin.

What was the lesson?

Well, there was only one way to find out:

"If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him.  But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for he who doubts is like a wave of the sea driven and tossed by the wind.   For let not that man suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord;   he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways." (James 1:5-8)

So, I did.  I asked.

And, I waited for the answer.

It came in Psalms.

Psalm 135 to be exact.

"He defeated many nations
And slew mighty kings—Sihon king of the Amorites, Og king of Bashan, And all the kingdoms of Canaan—


He gave their land as an inheritance, an inheritance to His people Israel. 

Your name, O Lord endures forever, Your renown, O Lord, through all generations. For the Lord will vindicate His people and have compassion on His servants." (Psalm 135: 10-14)

During my morning devotions, these verses really stood out to me.  Like they were specifically for me to learn something.

The word "inheritance" especially resonated with me.

The Psalmist was speaking of when the Lord promised Canaan as an inheritance to Abraham and his offspring the Israelites.  But, there were people already living on the land.  And, these people were nothing but trouble. 

How does this apply to my situation?

How do I look at these verses with spiritual eyes?

We are called to believe the gospel.

To remember that this world is not our home.

And, it's full of troubles!

Reminds me of something Jesus said,

“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” (John 16:33)

One day, Christ will Return and He's going to
Renew and Restore
everything that's gone wrong in this world, everything that is broken.

And, then we will realize our inheritance.

Each time we face a trouble, it is an opportunity to learn to turn to Christ and to long for His return.

And, there may be pain, frustration, and tears, but if you trust in God and follow His directions in your situation, you will pass the test.

And, if you fail, and you may fail many times (I do),

Return to the Lord, and He will forgive and cleanse those long-standing wounds in your heart that caused you to fail in the first place (1 John 1:9)

God is gracious and will give you the lesson again.

And then the test.

And, you're allowed to use your Book (The Bible) to help you along the way.

Just remember, you are not alone, and you can't do it alone.

Until the next test comes...


Lesson 462: Realizing my Inheritance

{Take 4}

"Action!"

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds,  because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.  Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." (James 1:2-4) 

No comments:

Post a Comment