Friday, March 27, 2015

When Plans Fail: {Treasures of the Heart}





Who doesn't like a nice  steaming cup of green tea, the perfect way to de-stress and relax on a trying day?

Yeah that was what I was thinking at the time, when I put the kettle on. 

It was a particularly trying day. One of those days where my body is on autopilot. Knowing where things should be and collecting them to make a hot cup of tea for Bright Girl and me, English style. With a spot of milk. And, a drizzle of honey.


The teacup was hot in my hands, so I blew a little to cool it. When I took a sip, something wasn't right. It tasted strange. I placed my cup on the table to cool some more and went into the kitchen.


Have you ever noticed how a carton of half & half is the same size and shape as a carton of egg whites?





When I went to put away the milk and honey, lo and behold, it was not milk, but eggs that I'd grabbed from the refrigerator and poured into my tea.


"Don't drink the tea," I bellowed from the kitchen.


"Why not?" Bright Girl held her teacup near her lips, about to sip.


I held up the egg whites. "I thought this was milk."


"Aw, mom."


My sentiments exactly. I was looking forward to my cup of tea.


You know the old saying, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger? 


So, it didn't kill me to drink a few teaspoons of raw egg. If anything, a little protein might have been good for me. But, it was not what I was expecting.

A ruined cup of tea is a little disappointment in the mighty sea of life's unexpected outcomes to be sure.


But, something even more unexpected then eggy tea happened. 


I laughed.


My daughter lifted an eyebrow, trying to remain seriously disappointed herself, but couldn't help but break out into a grin.


That was so unlike me. 


When things don't go right, I tend to quietly fume or spend the rest of the day spiraling into mournful preoccupation with all the imperfections of living.


But, joy?


Why joy?


Because I was looking forward to the memories.


This would one day be a funny story in the collection of this mama's many cooking blunders.


We can have joy when we know something good will come out of the bad.


But, we have to be willing to let go of our expectations. 


Sometimes, we have to let our dreams die so new ones can live.


die vb. 1. decease, perish, expire, go, pass away 2. decrease, diminish, fade, sink, decline, wither, wane, fail ant. flourish, grow.


All disappointments are little deaths. Even when our dreams come true, it's never quite how we imagined.


But, there is hope.


If we believe the Lord can create life out of the darkness of our little deaths, then we can have joy.


It is hope that gives joy in all circumstances. Maybe not right away, but it will come. As a gift. From the Giver of all things good and right and true.


All the bad, wrong, messed things in life will one day be made right.


And it will be glorious.


Our precious memories of living out the love and light of Christ are treasures. We can hold on to them in hope, so when the darkness comes, nothing can put out their flame.


"But Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart."  (Luke 2:19)



No comments:

Post a Comment