Sunday, January 6, 2013

Looking Ahead


This year, I don't have a list of New Year's resolutions.

But, I do want to get back some good things that I've let go slack or I've let fall by the wayside.

One of the good things is finding a good devotional for my children and
sitting down,
reading with them,
asking them questions,
praying with them and for them,
and teaching them to journal.






In my years of parenting, I can tell you that I am not an expert at finding the perfect devotional for children,
but each time,
when I pick one out,
it seems the perfect fit for them.

How is that? 

It's as if I am drawn to that which would bring them life.

Every time, Someone is leading me to that perfect book, which would open a doorway for them to glimpse a little bit of the glory of God, and that Someone is God. 

Over the years, Billy and I have tag-teamed in teaching the kids a little more about God.
Bible stories are his specialty.  He has a full repertoire of voices to bring all the people recorded in the Bible to life.  His favorite children's picture book Bibles are:

The My Jesus Storybook Bible ( a favorite among many other moms!)
The Read and Share Bible with Stories retold by Gwen Ellis
The Read With Me Bible, Illustrated by Dennis Jones


After their daddy lays down the groundwork, then I draw upon my gifting of evangelism and disciplining.  That is where devotionals come in.  Our children love these ones:

Baby's First Nativity
Little Visits for Toddlers by Mary Manz Simon
Bible Stories for Bedtime by Terry Brown (Ages 3-5)
I Believe in Jesus: Leading Your Child to Christ by John MacArthur Ages (3-7)
God's Little Princess Devotional Bible by Sheila Walsh (Ages 4-7)
365 Bible Promises for Little Hearts by Phil A. Smouse (Ages 3-7)
I Can Read God's Word by Phil A. Smouse (Ages 5-7)
The One Year Book of Devotions for Kids #2 (Ages 8-12)
365 Days to Knowing God for Girls (Ages 10-12)

How about you?  How do you share the good news with your children that God loves them so very much that in Christ, He provided a way for them to live with Him forever?

"But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us" (Romans 5:8).
 



2 comments:

  1. what a wonderful goal for the new year! devos with the kids is SUCH A precious time. It is the most valuable time of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true! I have seen the day go so much smoother when I take the time to sit with the kids and seek God with them. Thanks for reading, Jenilee!

    ReplyDelete