Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Maneuvering Through Life





The Christian Bloggers Community monthly challenge(#March2014CBChallengeManeuvering) was put to a vote for March and the winner was manuevering.

There is definitely a lot of manuevering going on in the life of a homeschool mom. Manuevering through piles of dirty laundry, around lego cities (which can be murder on the feet), and in teaching four different grade levels at once. 

So, on the weekends, if the weather is right, we try to find something fun to do. 

Although I live in Orlando, Florida, the home of Mickey Mouse, I am not a huge fan of theme parks. But, still we end up going to one of the plethora of parks that grace our fair city for "fun."

Maneuvering around thousands of people on a blistering hot day with four hungry, tired children is not my idea of fun. Nor is the expense of buying tickets for such a large family. And, I can remember all too clearly the last time I got a roller coaster (not the ones for kids). That was about fourteen years ago...I'll just say that it was an experience that I would not like to repeat if I can help it.

In years past, I'd say that I did it for the kids and the Captain, who does like roller coasters. But, after many visits to different theme parks, I've learned how to slow down and enjoy for myself all they have to offer.

The gardens, the food, the festivals...can all be fun.

Life imitates theme parks doesn't it?

But, what keeps us going in this topsy-turvy roller coaster ride we call life?

It helps to be prepared, to know our purpose and when life gets rough, to pace ourselves and learn to smell the roses.

It is impossible to outmaneuver the trials of life. They will come. But, part of being prepared is being in community.

It's a small world, and people can get pretty goofy once you get to know them. But, we can't let that keep us from being in community.


True, in community we can get hurt, but it is in community that we can heal.


I don't know what I would have done without the support of my Christian brothers and sisters when my husband and I went through the grief of losing our infant son to Potter's Syndrome.

To know that you are being lifted up in prayer helps lift your spirit. A kind word, a hug, or a surprise hot meal when you can barely get out of bed helps warm the soul.

Part of knowing our purpose is knowing who we are in Christ. Being intimately connected to Jesus will bring about a life transformation. Through trials, our faith can be strengthened and when we learn to "have our minds set on what the Spirit desires (Romans 8:5,6)," we become more Christlike.

Much like manuevering through theme parks, we go from place to place, activity to activity, barely stopping to truly enjoy all that the Lord has blessed us with. I confess I am guilty of this myself. When I have a plateful of things to do, I sometimes forget the most important thing.

Like Mary, the sister of Martha (Luke 10: 38,39), I have to remember to pace myself and sit at the Lord's feet, enjoying his company and taking in all that He has to teach me in His Word and in His world. He fills my cup to overflow with love, mercy, and grace, which is what I need to be a blessing to others in this broken world in need of a Savior.

So, what does manuevering through life look like for you?

My hope is that in Christ, you are prepared, know your purpose, and can pace yourself and enjoy all the blessings He has given to you.

But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession,that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. 1 Peter 2:9 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment