Saturday, June 8, 2013

"Watch Your Mouth": The Fruit of the Spirit is Self-Control


This picture here was of a trip my family took awhile ago to a winery in our neck of the woods.  Behind me are real bonafide grape vines!  A certain kind of grape called Muscadine grows in Florida.  Here's a description of the Sunburst wine that I tasted:

"Rich in aroma and fruit flavor, this light crisp and refreshing wine embodies the radiant hue of a Florida sunset; a blend of different Muscadine grapes done in a blush style. Try it with a wide variety of finger foods, rice dishes and pasta."

Speaking (actually writing) of wines, I should probably open up one of those mini wine bottles in the fridge and use a little to douse out the fire that's been burning in my throat the past few days.

First Little Bit got this bug, then me, and now Bright Girl, too.

I haven't been able to talk much, so I've been choosing my words carefully.

And, you know what?

The house has been so peaceful.

I don't know if it's the Florida heat or what, but before I lost my voice, it seems like I was stressed and letting my voice rise entirely too often with the children and I confess, this has not been a Proverbs 31 week, either (if you know what I mean).

Having no voice, has shown me how much peace I can promote in the house by using a gentle, quiet voice.

The kids really need me to be mature this way and my husband, too. 

This has been a good lesson for me.  Not talking. 

I'm just, well,

pleasant. 

I want to be like this all the time.  But, does that mean I just shouldn't talk?

How can this be lived out without being forced into mutism by getting a cold?

It's really all about not letting our emotions get the best of us, being self-disciplined, self-controlled and having a sound mind (2 Timothy 1:7).

This cannot be done without Christ.

When we dwell on Christ and His love and rely on Him in our weaknesses, our mind, heart, and mouth will be filled with good, lovely, true, pure, and holy things (Philippians 4:8).

Whatsoever, or whosoever we dwell on will have a direct affect on our speech "for those things which proceed out of the mouth come from the heart." (Matthew 15:18)

Jesus said that He is the vine and we are the branches.






If Christ lives in our hearts through faith (by the Holy Spirit) and we remain close to Him and seek Him in every aspect of our lives, we will bear much fruit (John 15:1-8).

Holy Spirit fruit.

Like self-control.

"And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God (Romans 12:2)."

No comments:

Post a Comment