Sunday, May 5, 2013

Life is Full of Surprises: The Fruit of the Spirit is Joy



It's been awhile since I've been surprised.

Mainly it's because I live in an information age where we are

<<bombarded>> with news.

And, most of it--bad news.

It's as if I'm in a constant stance of bracing for impact.

But, is that any way to live?

Still, every once in awhile, I get a surprise attack of

{{joy}}

But, this is not the kind of attack that I need to put up my defenses for.

Because it's straight from the Father's heart, I can let my guard down.

Like when it's spring and, everywhere you turn, there's new life.

When I leave the door of my heart ajar, waiting in eager expectation for God to show me His love, any moment, new life can spring forth, in the form of joy!

This particular day, I was walking along, in habitual ambivalence,
when I was attacked by none other than...

Ducklings!

Fuzzy, Downy, yellow, and brown, with tiny beaks and little webbed feet.




They waddled out of the water and ran full throttle toward me, a mama duck with her kiddos, chasing after this Mommy and her kiddos on the sidewalk, just taking a stroll around the pond.

I couldn't help but smile.

But, more than that, my heart flooded with joy from this perfectly surprising gift from my Father in heaven.

It washed away my ambivalence, and I prayed a simple prayer of thanks to God.



"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights who does not change like shifting shadows." (James 1:17, NIV)



4 comments:

  1. Ducklings are absolutely adorable. I wish I could take them home, but they're definitely better off in the wild...More precious than that are the surprises like these in little, but significant ways by my Father in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How adorable! I would have loved to have been attacked by those cuties as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny when I am in a funk that our Father in heaven shows up and reminds me of His love...through His Word and through His creation...there are no coincidences in the Kingdom of God...

    ReplyDelete