Sunday, April 7, 2013

This is My Father's World: In School and Life!



This past week has been an exciting time in the simple life of a homeschool mom. 

My new curriculum for the 2013-2014 school year has arrived!

After much prayer and consideration, I settled on going with My Father's World for history again this year.

It's main objectives are simple, which I like:

Discover! 

Investigate! 

Declare!

In the Discover stage of development, Preschoolers through 3rd graders discover all the wonders of creation in our Father's world.

I especially loved the character traits learned in Kindergarten. 

Each alphabetical letter stood for a different part of creation and a saying went along with it.

is for Turtle who says "I do not quit; I persevere."

When the children have something hard to do and want to give up.  I still prompt them,

"What does the turtle say?"

And they remember, "I do not quit; I persevere!"

The Investigate portion of the curriculum is for 3rd to 8th graders.  From the very beginning of creation until now and forevermore, it shines a light on how our Father in heaven is Lord over all of history. 

We've already studied Exploring Countries and Cultures and the kids loved learning about different people groups around the world, and praying for each one.

This year we are finishing up learning about Creation to the Greeks and next year we'll be learning about Rome to the Reformation.

The last two years in Investigate, we will embark on a historical tour of Exploration to 1850 and then make the final trip through 1850 to Modern times.

Unlike Billy, (who really knows and loves history), I don't know a whole lot about history, but this study is teaching me, which I think is pretty incredible. 

The last portion of the curriculum is for highschool students.  It is when highschoolers, by the grace of God, will be able to put the pieces together and Declare what a great God we serve.  The different books in the package help to build up their faith in such a way that they will have a Biblical foundation and Christian worldview.

The best thing that stands out to me about My Father's World is that it is not ethnocentric, but embraces the value of learning about and having an appreciation for other peoples and cultures.

And, how everyone all around the world needs to know about the gospel. 

Last night, I was reminded of this most basic and powerful truth.

Bright Girl and I went to a concert (thanks Nana!) that reminded me how precious in the sight of God are the children of all nations.

Operation Christmas Child  put on a concert to celebrate its giving away the one-hundred millionth gift to a child living in poverty in the Dominican Republic.

The African Children's Choir was one of the groups who performed at the concert.

Operation Christmas Child's mission is to allow children to experience Christmas for the first time with a shoebox filled with gifts such as toothbrushes, teddy bears, and jump ropes.

And, they've given 1 hundred million away.

That's a lot of shoebox gifts!

And, at the very top of each shoebox, there is a simple explanation of Who Christmas is all about--

Jesus.

And, that He was the greatest gift of all.

Because through Christ, we can all experience

<<forgiveness>>

And, a new life with God.

Last year, our family missed the deadline for making up a shoe box (or two) to give away, and it hurt my heart that I wasn't more on top of things.

I really want to make it a priority this year.

It is a small way to Declare in word and deed that God loves these children and they are not forgotten.

You never know what kind of difference a little gift can make.

"For I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes: first to the Jew, then to the Gentile." (Romans 1:16)

No comments:

Post a Comment